Read, Listen, Scroll along with the JSC team
December 23, 2019
To write Morning Notes and be effective investment managers, we commit daily to learning new things and staying on top of global news, events and trends. We subscribe to all the major news outlets, listen and read sell-side research, and use several sources of market analytics.
Below we’ve compiled some of our favorite widely available resources that we like to dive into during commute hours and free time.
On our way into our San Francisco office, you can find us listening to/reading:
- Bloomberg Surveillance: “Hosted by Tom Keene, Jon Ferro, and Paul Sweeney, they have the economy and the markets “under surveillance” as they cover the latest in finance, economics and investment, and talk with the leading voices shaping the conversation around world markets.”
- Masters in Business: “Bloomberg Opinion columnist Barry Ritholtz looks at the people and ideas that shape markets, investing, and business.”
- Equity by TechCrunch: “A venture capitalist podcast, you’ll hear the stories behind the money that runs Silicon Valley. TechCrunch reporter Kate Clark and Crunchbase News Editor-in-Chief Alex Wilhelm team up with Connie Lozios, Danny Crichton and the most notable VCs in the industry to analyze who’s raising, who’s selling out, and who’s going public.”
- Exponent: “Hosted by Ben Thompson and James Allworth, they seek to explore the massive effect technology is having not just on technology companies, but also on society as a whole.”
- Benedict Evan’s newsletter: “Technology news is extremely noisy, but his weekly newsletter is incisive.”
- This Time Tomorrow: “Well produced with good insights on 5G.”
For pure entertainment value:
- Andrew listens to Stuff You Should Know: “Hosted by Chuck Bryant and Josh Clark, it’s a podcast dedicated to educating the public about common things and how they work.”
- Joy listens to Business Wars which, in story format, teases out what led to the dominance of one actor over another in well-known business rivalries like Nike vs. Adidas and McDonalds vs. Burger King. She also likes casual interview-style podcasts like Dax Shepherd’s Armchair Expert and Conan O’Brien’s Conan Needs a Friend.
- Tina likes listening to Ted Talks Daily: “The episodes are thought-provoking that present a variety of perspectives and topics. The stories are inspiring and educational and great for my commute.”
- Michael listens to How I Built This. He enjoys listening to host Guy Raz draw out the challenges leaders face and how they strategically face those challenges to make it to the top. Michael also likes following hypebeast.com to stay on top of trends from art to fashion to tech.